> > I am trying to build a java server on my hp dv9000z
> notebook running
> > nv_69 (soon to upgrade to nv-70b when the respin
> comes out).  The
> > purpose is to practice the examples included in the
> "Core JavaServer
> > Faces" book by David Geary and Cay Horstmann.
> >
> > Any suggestions?  Or where is the good place to
> find helps for
> > absolute beginners?  I have installed NetBeans
> 5.5.1 with JDK 5, and
> > GlassFish.  But I immediately ran into my first
> problem when trying to
> > run the following command:
> >
> >  (in the glassfish directory) lib/ant/bin/ant -f
> setup.xml
> >
> > (permission denied)
>
> Respin? or do you mean SXDE?
>
> Matthew

1.  Are you saying that it's OK to install nv_70 (in light of the all the
difficulties Dennis mentioned)?

2.  But the main issue is, this book is well written (indeed it is the only
book currently available on Java server faces).  However, I must protest
("vehemently") that it mentions "all" the possible operating systems including
Windows, MacOS, Linux, and totally oblivious of the fact that there is another
OS--Solaris on either x86/64 or Sparc--that is not only alive and kicking but
could be the most ideal platform to run a Java server.

     Of course this is none of my/our business except for the fact that this
book is sponsored (and copyrighted) by Sun Microsystems.