Dev Mazumdar wrote:
> Yes I've tried text based install. I verified that 512MB ram is not
> sufficient for B70.
>
> This memory requirement is absolutely unacceptable.

Hello, the cpu_hungryness of the actual Nevada kernel (no X11, no
nothing, no special daemon to be blamed, even in single user milestone)
is another such problem. Maybe you don't notice this on faster machines.
But on pre-USIII systems (especially IIi, IIe, IIe+) - or on older <=
1GHz x86 boxes as well - it makes the whole experience ... slow, quite a
bit frustrating even. A few remaining IIe+ based systems are not even
eol'ed yet.
Alternatively: Running Solarisx86 or x64 inside qemu shows you what I
mean: /opt/csw/bin/top would easily show 30% or 50% kernel cpu usage,
for almost nothing.
I know, there have been discussions on the performance list and the
whole issue seems to be played down for some reason.

But back to your current problem, try the following: Choose the text
installer. Then quit it to gain access to bourne shell (If you are
happy, choose the quit option, otherwise, if it hangs that early,
continuously try to come to the root shell by pressing Ctrl+c or Ctrl+\ ).
Then, you may be able to add swap space, either an existing tmpfs slice
from a previous installation (s1 per default), or a swap file, otherwise
create either one and add it (swap -a [...]).
I once managed to trick the x86 installer over a year ago (circa snv42),
Elitegroup based Sempron64 box with 384MB.

But it all depends on so many factors (esp. implementation of installer).
As I didn't perform a Nevada install onto a x86 box since then, I don't
dare to make further statements.
Oh, damn: My other (primary) x64 box is a low config U20, which came
with 512MB mem pre-installed.
At first I actually just wanted to try giving you a hint, which could
hopefully be helpful. I now feel myself trapped in exactly the same
situation like you. So okay, I will try it myself on Sunday.
SUNW: (or from Monday on now JAVA:) are you serious about this, that my
U20 Opteron box from last year is already outdated and cannot even
install Solaris by means of the text installer in whatever
(non-)interactive mode, without doubling mem??
Strange.

--martin