> No disagreement with most of that, except that I'm
> not sure I see
> increases in memory requirements (even for the
> duration of installation)
> as regression as such, even if they may a real
> obstacle.

The rudimentary issue here is that one might have a system perfectly capable of
running Solaris, but is prevented from doing so because the installer's
unrealistic requirements are preventing one from doing so.

However, it's not all bleak, as it would seem that the new Caiman installer is
written in C, implying, at least, sane memory requirements.

I think Solaris's problem in general is much deeper than that: sometimes
Solaris engineering seems to seriously suffer from the "not invented here"
syndrome.

For example, sgi had the miniroot install solved and real slick down to a tee.
Solaris somehow doesn't seem to be assimilating technology that it needs from
others who have already successfully solved the exact same problems Solaris
faces, years ago.

And it's not like this is some namby-pamby "hack-it-up-on-Friday-night" stuff,
this was and even today still is professional, state of the art engineered
product.