On 18/09/2007, Richard Eng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm currently using Ubuntu Linux as a server to host a [b]Seaside/Squeak[/b]
> web application. This application makes heavy use of streaming video. I'm
> using [b]Darwin Streaming Server[/b]. Of course, I'm also using
> [b]Apache2[/b].
>
> My Seaside/Squeak application uses [b]PostgreSQL[/b], too.
>
> A friend of mine (a Solaris professional) has strongly recommended using
> Solaris instead of Linux. I must confess, I'm a bit trepidatious. I don't
> really have too much time to mount yet another learning curve. So I have some
> basic questions whose answers will hopefully help me to decide whether I
> should make the leap from Ubuntu...
>
> 1) Does Solaris have a software repository and package management system
> comparable to Ubuntu's apt-get in terms of ease-of-use, up-to-date packages,
> and extensiveness of repository (excellent selection of packages)?

Not yet, at least not the official one. In the meantime, might I
direct you to Nexenta:

http://www.nexenta.org/

...which does have such a repository with over 12,000+ packages.

I can't help you with your other two questions sadly.

Look for project indiana to help bring a better user experience while
keeping all the Solaris goodness in the near future:
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/indiana/

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
tried it. " --Donald Knuth