Darren J Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > While they execute within the kernel address space, solaris drivers
> > written to the DDI can be thought of (from an engineering standpoint, at
> > least), as independent programs.
>
> I've already seen GPLv2 network drivers for Solaris somewhere, but I
> can't remember where off the top of my head.  However I don't believe
> these were a "port" from a Linux driver but a write from scratch.

I hope this was not the networking drivers ~ 5 years ago ;-)

The Solaris kernel does not depend on these drivers and cannot be called
a "derived work" from the driver. I am sure that Eben Moglen would concur.
It is an interesting fact that some restrictive statements on the GPL have
never been made by a lawyer ;-)

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)