> > brage~%>smbclient -L rozetta
> > Password:
> > session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
>
> Your OS X username matches the opensolaris username right?

Yes, that's correct.

> Does smbclient -L work on the opensolaris box?
>
>    % smbclient -L localhost

Now I get a (proper) response: :-)

rozetta~%>smbclient -L localhost
Password:
Domain=[ROZETTA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.25c]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Solaris Samba Server)
        claus           Disk      Home Directories

And from a remote client:

zetta~%>smbclient -L rozetta
Password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

> What does your opensolaris samba log show when this happens?
>    /var/svc/log/network-samba:default.log

It just says samba has started:

> My samba password is 6 characters long.

Aah, there is a workaround! :-)

Changed my password to six characters, voila:

zetta~%>smbclient -L rozetta -U claus
Password:
Domain=[ROZETTA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.25c]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Solaris Samba Server)
        claus           Disk      Home Directories

The limit is eight characters. Now I can lower my shoulders since I'm
not doing something "wrong".
This lead me to
http://www.hostingforum.ca/637009-samba-smbpasswd-truncates-password-8-chars-solaris-sparc.html.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

--
regards
Claus

the gentlest gamester is the soonest winner.

Shakespeare