On 10/31/07, Shawn Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That's my point. If you want to be able to prove *why* we shouldn't
> have a distribution called OpenSolaris you must demonstrate the harm
> it would cause as the benefit has already been demonstrated and talked
> about.
>
> Not to be offensive, but other than hurt feelings, I don't see the harm in
> it.

I agree with Joerg (for once--just kidding!) in that an official
"OpenSolaris" distribution will harm other OpenSolaris-based projects.
Here's why.

As Ian Murdock eloquently states in the third paragraph in this very thread:
"... - one answer to that question is clear to
me: OpenSolaris MUST be something new users can download and install."

This, of course, is meant to drive incoming eyeballs (new users) to the
obvious choice, the Official OpenSolaris distro. So the eyeball will,
instead of being puzzled by the myriad arrays of available distro, and
instead of reading the descriptions and reading about Nexenta's debian-like
packaging and ShilliX's Unix on USB, they will sheepfully click on the big
green Download OpenSolaris button. *

And they will not go to the other distros.

And since distros need people, new people, to thrive, the Official
OpenSolaris distro will be disproportionately advantaged in the draw of new
users compared to other distros, who will wither away.

People's decisions will not be based on the technical merit of each distro,
after careful examination of the characteristics of each distro and based on
their need. Rather, they will become Victims of Marketing and be funneled
into OpenSolaris-that-was-Indiana.

So, does it harm other distros? In the sense that they will be starved for
new users, definitely.

* (I'm going to argue that people who run Sparc will find MartUX all by
themselves. That's assuming that distro can still exist sans Martin
Bochnig.)

--
Chris Mahan
http://www.christophermahan.com/