On 10/31/07, Glynn Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Shawn Walker wrote:
> > Stop focusing on yourselves; focus on the users. We need to do what's
> > best for the community, not our egos.
>
> I absolutely agree with Shawn on this one. We are going to have to make
> some
> tough choices, and some people will feel left out by them and that's the
> reality
> we're going to all have to face.

Ok, but there's where I com from: I am a user. I am a consumer, not a
producer, of operating systems. I build web applications.

I use debian stable (Etch) as my OS of choice right now, on one dedicated
and several virtual servers. Yes, I select my os, download it, congure it,
and run it myself.

I use Solaris 9 at the office and F'in hate it. I also don't like Ubuntu
that much, and I don't care for RH, although I've used it. I tried Mandriva
for a bit and that wasn't my cup of tea. I've not messed with anything else
since I found debian because it hits my sweet spot.

So you can consider me as a dispassionate user who wants a top-of-the-line,
dynamic OS. I really want ShilliX to do well because thanks to python I can
make offline web servers available (WSGI+framework+SQLite for those
interested) and I want to be able to have a "OS+Server+application+browser"
on USB, self-launchable, that will work offline and online the same way.
(webservices back end on server when connected to the net). That's the kind
of thing I want. I care not for this or that distro, but I am experienced
enough to understand that diversity breeds diversity and I want the
OpenSolaris world to be defined by diversity and not by a one-trick-pony OS.

I also don't work for Sun so I don't have to watch my words or "attitude"
for fear of the HR axe. If some of you find what I say grating to their
sensibilities, tough.

--
Chris Mahan
http://www.christophermahan.com/