On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 12:08:12PM -0600, Jon Trulson wrote:

> >> I have yet to see any qualifying statements that indicate exactly
> >> *how* other distributions would be harmed.
> >
> > How about trying to prove that there is no such harm?
> >

>    How could that possibly be done?
>
> > It is obvious that if Sun calls a distro "OpenSolaris", many people believe
> > that this is the one and only.
> >

>    FWIW, as a third party that develops software on Solaris, I would
>    welcome an 'OpenSolaris Reference' distribution.
>
>    Without it, we would be forced to choose one or two of the dists
>    available to try to officially support, much as we have to do now on
>    Linux.

There's your example of harm; Jon Trulson would be supporting only
the reference distribution and not the other distros.  This can be
expected to hold true for others. [1]

Ceri

[1] This can, of course, be seen to be a good thing for ISVs, but that's
     not the question which was one of harm to other distros.
                                                  -- Moliere