On 31/10/2007, Ceri Davies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 12:08:12PM -0600, Jon Trulson wrote:

> > > How about trying to prove that there is no such harm?
> > >

> >    How could that possibly be done?
> >
> > > It is obvious that if Sun calls a distro "OpenSolaris", many people
> > > believe
> > > that this is the one and only.
> > >

> >    FWIW, as a third party that develops software on Solaris, I would
> >    welcome an 'OpenSolaris Reference' distribution.
> >
> >    Without it, we would be forced to choose one or two of the dists
> >    available to try to officially support, much as we have to do now on
> >    Linux.
>
> There's your example of harm; Jon Trulson would be supporting only
> the reference distribution and not the other distros.  This can be
> expected to hold true for others. [1]

But companies already do that in the GNU/Linux world today and no
reference distribution exists. So therefore, I would argue it is not
harm, but help. So then, if you must conclude it is harmful, I would
conclude that it is less harmful.

People can choose whatever they want to support. All the proposal does
is give them an incentive to focus on something and help set
expectations for users.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"We don't have enough parallel universes to allow all uses of all
junction types--in the absence of quantum computing the combinatorics
are not in our favor..." --Larry Wall