W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
> You people are accusing "Whoever those person or persons may be" of being a
> dictator, but you don't have any problem being one when "you" are on the
> driver's seat.

Who is you?  If you're talking to James - then well... um.. yeah.  He is
an OGB member.
> Have you ever consulted (or even thought about) the opinions of little people
> like me and a bunch of others in a like situation who continue to be ignored,
> mis-represented, and, worse, abused?

Yeah - we do routinely talk to people.
And being "ignored, mis-represented, and worse, abused" goes both ways.
> I am very confident that the Solaris rejuvenation movement is much bigger
> than a bunch of Solaris old farts who thought they represent the
> "Community"--whatever that means.

The OpenSolaris Community elected us.  So yeah, I do kind of think we
represent the community.
> >From the very first day the news about Indiana came about, I always imagined
> >that it would become a de jure OpenSolaris distro.  In fact, if you have
> >ever been in a position to try to pitch Solaris to businesses and government
> >entities, you will probably come to the same conclusion.  You can express
> >your opinion, but you have to make it damn clear that it is your own
> >opinion, plus perhaps a handful (five fingers) of others.  It does not, at
> >the very least, speak that of mine.

Go look at the avalanche of replies in the thread.  Count up the number
of dissenting opinions.  If you've concluded that it's a handful of
people, then I'd like to see a photo of your hand and how many fingers
you have on it.
> I want to echo Mr. Murdock's sentiment: I really can't understand why the big
> fuss is about.  Linus writes no more than 5% of the Linux kernel, but, like
> it or not, he has (at least used to have) absolute control over the release
> of and everything there is to do with Linux.  Don't like his decision, there
> was Alan Cox (now Andrew Morton) who always provides follow-up kernel patches.

I'll put at simply as I can.
The name, and the announcement implies it has the backing and blessing
of the OpenSolaris Community.
No such backing or blessing has been given.

Is that so hard to understand?
> I officially joined the OpenSolaris.org almost two and half years ago.  I
> would very much like to consider myself a member of the "community".  But I
> can't, because I really don't know what the "community" is.  I am sure the
> so-called "community" would be more credible if some of the Solaris gurus who
> have often shown a propensity to control or at least affect the direction of
> OpenSolaris could first try to make a concerted effort to help those
> struggling/frustrating newcomers like myself.  That way, you/they will have a
> better chance to win our respect and thus support when there is a conflict
> with Sun's management.

And Indiana is a perfectly good way to solve this.  We're not disputing
Indiana's existence.  Just the fact that it is co-opting the name.

cheers,
steve

--
stephen lau | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | www.whacked.net