On Nov 19, 2007 11:20 AM, UNIX admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> - if SVM is used, metadevices in question must be `metadetach`ed, and any
> meta databases on these metadevices destroyed
> - the metadevice(s) in question must not house /, /usr or swap on them
> - the controller must be capable of hot remove/hot plug support
> - the operating system must be notified which action will be taken, prior to
> actually performing the action
> - the port(s) must support hot remove/hot plug operations.

Yes, so a Netra, as dclake pointed out he's using or what i was
discussing doesn't have to be in a cluster and does not require
failover to another node for disk replacement. There are advantages of
using a cluster but they're not needed for disk replacement on a
Netra.. for other non-hotswap systems your point of having a cluster
is valid, but then again, one might argue that if they don't spend 5K
euro on a Netra with hotswap capabilities they won't spend 3K on a Sun
cluster validation and/or Sun Cluster support contract either. So
basicly the comments about running 'cfgadm -c unconfigure' in one of
the first emails plus the comments from nachox were already
establishing what you say.

About the "> - the metadevice(s) in question must not house /, /usr or
swap on them", I don't know where you read that but this is again in
contradiction with my experience and what Sun engineers tell me and
how they handle our systems. A Netra v240 only has two internal bays.
We slice c1t0d0 into /, swap, /var, /opt and /metadb (last one is used
for metadb later) and we have no problems whatsoever with replacing
one of the internal disks. Where did you read this statement exactly?
A Sun authentic resource?

Patrick