On 21/11/2007, Georg-W. Koltermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does anyone have a rough idea when one could expect a formal release of
> Solaris 11?

There may never be a "Solaris 11" -- Sun hasn't decided yet what to
call it or what to do for a  release. However, if you're asking when
there will be a release comprising *all* of the technologies currently
found in Solaris Express, the answer is: years possibly.

> Sorry for the question; I was just wondering when I could expect Rational to
> fix their
> ClearCase product to run on OpenSolaris. Most likely that would be when
> OpenSolaris becomes
> a formal Solaris 11 release, I'd think.

That's up to Rational I would assume.

> I would even consider going back to Solaris 10, but I'm afraid I'd loose too
> much since I'm
> running on a laptop.  All the good things for laptops came in after Solaris
> 10, right?

Actually, most of the good things for laptops are now in Solaris
Express. WiFi support out of the box for Intel chipsets, better video
support, etc.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"We don't have enough parallel universes to allow all uses of all
junction types--in the absence of quantum computing the combinatorics
are not in our favor..." --Larry Wall