John Sonnenschein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> $ ls /opt/SUNWspro/bin/as
> /opt/SUNWspro/bin/as: No such file or directory

Older SS did come with a separate as, recent versions seem to include the
assembler in "acomp", check cc -# output

> and gas cannot build ON to my knowledge, only /usr/ccs/bin/as can.

If you like to make OpenSolaris self hosting, things are different.

> Further research has lead me to Yasm, which is licensed under BSD ( so
> it can actually be integrated ) and built as a library loosely tied to
> a frontend ( which can be jettisoned in favour of one that takes
> solaris' syntax ). Assuming nobody's working on a replacement for
> SUNWsprot's copy, I was thinking of starting from there. Comments?

It would be nice if someone from the compiler group could comment this
and tell us whether as will become OSS in spring.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)