> I recently installed 4 GB RAM but only see 3 GB.

This is normal behavior for most PC-buckets. It's a BIOS issue, where a part of
the RAM is allocated for something, nor sure what exactly.  It even states so
in the manual for some of my systems.

This is not a Solaris issue, as Solaris can easily deal with much much more
memory than that.

> Should not stand here something with i686 then? Is it
> somehow possible
> to start explicitely a 64 bit kernel?

"i686" would be, if it existed in Solaris terms, a Pentium Pro system.
Solaris doesn't have or need "i686", two main ISAs are "i386" for 32-bit and
"amd64" for 64-bit (for both AMD and intel).

As others have pointed out, use `islist` to see which instruction set
architectures are supported by your system.

To see the optimal ISA for your system, use

optisa `isalist`.