OS: S10u4 & SXCE (inclusive of 78)
NIC: e1000g on Lenovo Thinkpad R61i
router/ISP: ClearWire modem

I was playing with my ethernet connection, which is connected to ClearWire thru
a WiMax modem.  During a reboot, I received the following message after logging
into a GNOME session:

¨Could not look up internet address for unknown.  This will prevent GNOME from
operating correctly.  It may be possible to correct the problem by adding
unknown to the file /etc/hosts.¨

After clicking on the ¨Login anyway¨ box, I was able to log in and nothing
seemed to have been affected.

What might have happened?  Where can I find info that may help me solve this
problem?  Any lead will be appreciated.  Thanks.