> > Your hostname is literally set to 'unknown', and
> your
> > system can't find
> > it in the DNS.  You could/should set a proper
> > hostname and add that
> > entry to /etc/hosts and make sure files is in your
> > /etc/nsswitch.conf
> >
> > cheers,
> > steve
> >

> The hostname ¨unknown¨ was set by Solaris.

Actually, come to think about it, nothing is more appropriate than the
"unknown" hostname ingeniously contrived by the Solaris developers.

I can now appreciate why this is so:  The default firewall zone for an NIC is
typically set to "external zone" (at least in most Linux distros).  Since there
is no firewall between machines connected to a consumer-type broadband router,
what could be more appropriate than to call each & every dhcp client "unknown",
thus raising the awareness that your machine may be vulnerable if there are
other machines also connected to the same router?

As a side note, I am not qualified to comment on Solaris one way or another,
but many of my friends (especially those in the military) who have worked with
Solaris (Honolulu has one of the largest military concentrations in the world)
have told me that this is the most desired OS you will ever want to use if
security is your most important concern.

Nowadays, who doesn't?