On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:33:48 +0100
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joerg Schilling) wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > > Not everyone agrees with you on this. It is my understanding that SXCE
> > > releases will continue, and until such time as standards compliancy is
> > > actually considered a goal of Indiana, it is of little interest.
> > > Frankly, if forced to discontinue my reliance on SXCE, I will likely go
> > > to ShilliX, as said compliancy is one of ShilliX's expressed goals.
> >
> > Can you provide some details on why you think Indiana is or will be any
> > less standard's compliant than SXCE is?  It may very well turn out that
> > it may be less compliant but that hasn't occurred yet and so I'm just
> > trying to understand where you're coming from.
>
> If Indiana is/becomes a (too) Linux or GNU "inspired" platform, a majority of
> the longstanding Solaris users in the community will not follow. Note that the
> people who used Solaris before OpenSolaris came out could have selected Linux
> a long time ago. They did not and the reason is that Solaris was close to the
> UNIX roots.
>
> The term "compliance" is not what we can use in such a discussion unless it
> is
> well defined and does not just list the latest Sun idea......

+1

New to Solaris myself but one of the main attractions is Solaris's "true
Unix" roots.  Left Linux long ago, circa late RH-3.x, early 4.x days,
and haven't used it since except under employer mandate.  To be fair,
Linux has come a long way since then.  I play with the "distro of the
month" periodically and while the latest bells/whistles have their shiny
attractions, once done playing I need to get real work done and don't
have the patience for an unstable platform.  Yeah, it's better than
Windows, but that's not the bar I'm aiming for.

Now if a goal of OpenSolaris is to attract as many users as possible,
then making OS into yet another Linux clone userland, except running on
a hopefully more stable kernel, then that's probably the way to go, as
there are droves of Linux hobbyists to woo.  OTOH, of goal is to provide
enterprise platform, then that Linux subpopulation narrows considerably.

My $0.02.

-- Best regards,

Ken Gunderson

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?