On Feb 5, 2008 8:31 AM, Kyle McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> For instance, I understand that in the linux world 'DBUS' and 'HAL' have
> come from the same (or closely connected) community that GNOME comes
> from. So I don't see a problem with the GNOME team at sun being
> responsible for integrating them into Solaris.

DBUS and HAL really aren't "GNOME" specific anymore though and
labeling them as somehow being part of a "Linux suite" is disingenuous
at best.

> But when the program that manages automatically mounting removable media
> was integrated and required these API's, libraries, and daemons, I think
> it should have been obvious to move them to some other more 'system
> level' package and not allowed to stay in large GNOME packages that have
> a multitude of other package dpenedencies. Right now you can't install a
> headless machine without GNOME that will still mount a CD when it's
> inserted.

Yes, and that work is happening to repackage them. That's a packaging
issue that is being sorted out over time.

> Another example, is Xscreensaver. I always used to be able install that
> with only X11 installed. Now not only does GNOME have to be installed
> too, So does large portions of Evolution!! What on earth does Evolution
> have to do with a ScreenSaver?

Again, that's a packaging issue and has absolutely nothing to do with
this mysterious "Linux suite" you keep mentioning.

> So, If attention is paid to dependencies, and the likely use-cases when
> the files are divided among packages, I don't have much problem with
> this additional software. But today it's already too much like linux for
> me. The situtation described above about upgrading one piece, and being
> forced to upgrade half the machine is for me here already. I can't
> remove a large number of pacakgeswithout removing ones I want. I can't
> add ones I want without adding a huge number of pacakge I don't want.
>
> And I don't accept the argument that 'Disk is cheap - Install it all!'

That's why IPS is encouraging to me. The dependency models that are
being considered could substantially simplify this. I encourage you to
read about what they're trying to do with it.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"To err is human -- and to blame it on a computer is even more so." -
Robert Orben