Shawn Walker wrote:
> [...]
>> But when the program that manages automatically mounting removable media
>> was integrated and required these API's, libraries, and daemons, I think
>> it should have been obvious to move them to some other more 'system
>> level' package and not allowed to stay in large GNOME packages that have
>> a multitude of other package dpenedencies. Right now you can't install a
>> headless machine without GNOME that will still mount a CD when it's
>> inserted.
>>

> Yes, and that work is happening to repackage them. That's a packaging
> issue that is being sorted out over time.

   BTW on a side note I just checked the dependencies here. SUNWhal and
   SUNWrmvolmgr depend on SUNWgnome-base-libs.
   SUNWgnome-base-libs != GNOME.
   GNOME included in Nevada consists of about 181 packages as of B78.
   However SUNWgnome-base-libs does have a bunch of other dependencies
   including Xorg libs that are redundant on a headless system.

>> Another example, is Xscreensaver. I always used to be able install that
>> with only X11 installed. Now not only does GNOME have to be installed
>> too, So does large portions of Evolution!! What on earth does Evolution
>> have to do with a ScreenSaver?
>>

> Again, that's a packaging issue and has absolutely nothing to do with
> this mysterious "Linux suite" you keep mentioning.

   Yep. SUNWxwsvr also includes Xscreensaver GNOME integration. Maybe
   that can be separate package.

Regards,
Moinak.