On Feb 5, 2008 9:37 AM, UNIX admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I'd be very surprised if someone rewrote history to
> > declare Indiana
> > the cause of the first OpenSolaris fork, given that
> > we've already
> > got Nexenta, Schillix, Belenix and Martux.
>
> Those aren't forks, since they sync up with the main OpenSolaris codebase on
> a regular basis.
>
> A fork is a codebase that no longer syncs with its ancestor, but is instead
> worked on independently, in parallel. A fork might import some desired
> functionality down the road, or might not, or might even prohibit importing
> anything from a particular codebase.

That doesn't sound like any accepted definition of fork I've seen, the
definition here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_fork

...basically says that taking a copy of source code and doing
independent development qualifies.

Well, all three of those distributions took a copy of the source code
(it says nothing about continuing to update that copy) and performed
independent development.

Meaning, all of them had changes that are or were not integrated back
into ON, etc.

As a result, they are *different* from the originals in certain areas,
and therefore are not a straight copy and qualify as a fork in my
mind.

Are they harmful forks? I doubt it; but to me, they are forks.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"To err is human -- and to blame it on a computer is even more so." -
Robert Orben