On Feb 6, 2008 3:18 PM, a b <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Someone had the guts to stand up against the ultraconservative
> > 'backwards compatibility is our religion' [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Opensolaris cannot afford such Bourne shell extravaganza anymore
>
> You don't run many mission critical workloads on the server side of things,
> do you?
>
> This ain't dustin' crops,
> oh-look-at-me-I-managed-to-install-Linux-on-my-desktop-PC-bucket type of a
> deal.
>
> Solaris is an enterprise grade desktop AND server operating system, and as
> such, it *must* be able to take abuse as both a desktop and a server
> operating system.
>
> What OpenSolaris can't afford is to become like Linux. That would be a
> catastrophe for those of us that bring food on the table and pay the bills,
> thanks in no small part to Solaris.
>
> Those who are just interested in geeking-off have toys like PC-buckets and
> Linux, and it would seem that they're much better staying in that sandbox.
> Em, I wish those lots of fun building sand castles, too.

I'm not sure how ksh93 is making things like GNU/Linux.

Oh, and as far as the enterprise argument, go talk to some of the
enterprise sysadmins who post here; they hate that /bin/sh isn't
anywhere near portable across systems.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"To err is human -- and to blame it on a computer is even more so." -
Robert Orben