On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 03:40:39PM -0500, Dennis Clarke wrote:

> No it does not.  You are making the assumption that world domination can not
> happen *with* technical excellence.

No.  User base growth is a goal but technical excellence is a
constraint.  I am asserting that reversing those leads to certain
failure.

> Okay. So in that case stop accepting a pay check. Right now. You don't need
> money anymore and neither does Sun if we can get everyone to work for free.
> Sounds like utopia for the shareholder. When will you start with that ?
>
> It *is* your affair. You do work for Sun right ? If you do then you *must*
> always be focused on doing good business first. And by any meaning ful
> definition a good business is one with a good cashflow.

This is an open engineering community.  We care about some of the same
things that business people do, but only because those things -
understanding the nature of the problems that need to be solved - are
essential to successful engineering.  Figuring out how to utilise
those solutions to make money is not the concern of *this community*
even though it's related.  If no one wants to separate the two, the
OpenSolaris Community is not a community at all.  Me, I prefer to keep
my employer's business affairs separate and private while I work on
software openly and publicly.  I guess you find that bizarre.

> I define success, in the context of this community, as a community with a
> common vision to to create an open source UNIX distribution that we can all
> name OpenSolaris and also contribute to it. Something I can download, I can
> build it ALL OF IT from sources and then fetch and run open source software
> from a vast repo of community based software. All of it being maintianed and
> updated within the community and all of it based on technology that WORKS
> now.

I don't share your vision, but I'm sure many people do, so I'm glad
that you've described it for us.  Thank you.

--
Keith M Wesolowski              "Sir, we're surrounded!"
Fishworks                       "Excellent; we can attack in any direction!"