>> In that case, solve the software package problem
>>  within Project Indiana and
>> olve the trademark situation and solve the lack of a
>> driver for Adaptec
>> controllers and AMD PCNet etherent and solve real
>> problems that affect the
>> OpenSolaris project.
> [...]
> http://opensolaris.org/os/community/on/dev_solaris/qual_death_spiral/

This was from some internal document at Sun in which the context was
regarding a "product" called Solaris.

FCS quality all the time -- why is this so important?

        - only way to avoid the quality death spiral:

                - people hear the gate is broken
                - decide not to risk a bringover
                - fewer people run the latest stuff
                - less real-life testing
                - new bugs not found
                - quality drops further

        - morale tracks quality
        - downward spiral hard to break
        - recovery time can be very long

how are we doing?

        - after a rough start, things are going well
        - eliminated gatekeeper putback approval
        - still no netinstall, but lots of bfu
        - high volume of change, very little breakage
        - several major projects (KBI, C-O-C, NFS V3, NFS/TCP, ...)
        - over 300 bug fixes
        - on495 already deployed on jurassic, updated weekly
        - lots more good stuff on the way

Does this have any bearing on an OpenSolaris experiment ?  When I install
and run snv_81 on my machine that has :

    two AMD PCNet NICs

    two Adaptec SCSI Controllers

    one NCRS based SCSI controller

    a SoundBlaster Live! card and a pile of other "stuff"

They all have drivers except for the sound. The pcn driver is a piece of
trash and it has *always* been a trashy piece of code.  So no one can tell
me that it is FCS quality because it has been in the "commercial product"
all the way back to Solaris 8 x86 and maybe earlier.  The SCSI works great.
The ata driver is a thing of beauty ( finally ) and I can read and burn to
both of my DVD writers.

With the OpenSolaris binary release I can not do a few things. Namely half
of my disks are gone because there is no Adaptec SCSI driver. The pcn driver
is absent and the open source ae driver ( Masayuki Murayama's ) is not in
there so I have to add that manually via a USB Thumbdrive or maybe a CDROM.
So forget using a browser or any network at all.

I have said all this before over and over ad nauseum ad ignorium :
http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=51198&tstart=60

Regardless ... I'm tired of writing these sort of emails. They serve no
purpose and I am just some noisey guy on the other side of a wall talking to
himself about things he wished that he could fix.

I am going to go do useful work at blastwave.org and actually release
software to the Solaris user base. That always makes me feel more like a
participant in the Solaris community as opposed to an observer.

Dennis Clarke

ps: and I have really tried to work with IPS also but a lot of work is
    required to make that fly.  Feel free to ask.