Roman Morokutti writes:
> I just compiled and installed the wget program. After
> installation I tried to type wget, but nothing happened.
> So I saw that it has been installed into /usr/local.

wget comes with Solaris in /usr/bin.

> Further investigation has shown that wget was the
> only tool which has been installed into /usr/local (yet).

Right; Solaris doesn't ship with /usr/local.

> So my question is if I should copy all under /usr/local
> into /usr. Or would it be better to modify my path
> variable? What is the standard way under Solaris with
> such GNU tools?

You shouldn't be modifying anything under the standard /usr
directories.  See filesystem(5) for more information about the
standard locations and the way /usr/local and /opt are used -- those
are the places that non-integrated (third party) software is
delivered.

Note that Solaris comes with most useful GNU tools, so you shouldn't
have to do much (if any) of this.  Others are easily available from
sunfreeware or blastwave -- highly recommended if your time is
valuable.