On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Ken Gunderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:10:24 -0500
> "Shawn Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>  > On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Ken Gunderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 07:46:38 -0500
>  > >  "Shawn Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > >
>  > >  > On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:02 AM, Ken Gunderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>  > >  > >  I've used both Gnome and KDE off and on since 0.x days but ditched
> both
>  > >  > >  in favor of Xfce in more recent years.  In my opinion Sun (along
> with
>  > >  > >  other US corps) bet on the wrong horse with Gnome.  I'm looking
> forward
>  > >  > >  to the ongoing KDE4 work (although KDE has become a bit too
> "glitzy" for
>  > >  > >  me) but that's going to be a while yet.
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >  What would be really appreciated is if Sun/OS would invest some
>  > >  > >  energies in porting Xfce - lightweight, fast, and sports a nice
> window
>  > >  > >  manager that actually does useful things like shade on mouse title
> bar
>  > >  > >  scroll, right click anywhere for full menu, page desktops on mouse
>  > >  > >  scroll, etc. It's gtk based and attracts a lot of "Gnome refugees"
>  > >  > >  it's ranks, so should not be too hard to port, eh?
>  > >  >
>  > >  > xfce has a long way to go before getting to Section 508 compliance,
> etc.
>  > >
>  > >  Not sure about this one, but who cares?  Why should majority suffer
>  > >  additional bloat and bugs for a small minority so long as _other_
>  > >  options exist that _do_ accommodate that minority?
>  >
>  > Sun as a public company is *required* by law to seek Section 508
> compliance.
>  >
>  > People who don't have friends or family members, or who themselves are
>  > not physically disadvantaged in some way, often don't understand the
>  > need for Section 508 compliance.
>  >
>  > These folks are disadvantaged, through no fault of their own usually,
>  > and deserve the same opportunities we have to use software and live
>  > life.
>
>  Right.  But enabling such features should be an option, not default
>  requirement.

The law makes it a requirement.

>  > >  > GNOME is far more mature as a platform than KDE or XFCE, right now,
>  > >  > when it comes to accessibility, etc.
>  > >
>  > >  -1
>  >
>  > -1 what?
>  >
>  > >  > For many business purposes, GNOME still has friendlier licensing than
>  > >  > KDE or components KDE relies on as well.
>
>  Well now you're citing licensing issue to support claim that Gnome is
>  more mature and accessible.  Moreover, seeing how KDE has been in

No, I am not. I never stated that.

>  existence longer than Gnome, how can you assert it's less mature.  Same
>  for Xfce if you take into account that it's based/ported from CDE.

More mature because GNOME has had more structured, corporate
involvement and more usability studies done than KDE.

>  > >  Care to back this up with specific references?
>  >
>  > It's quite simple. GNOME is primarily LGPL. KDE relies on many GPL
>  > components, especially its core window toolkit.
>  >
>  > Sun came to the same conclusion when they chose GNOME, so I'm told.
>
>  And I've had it whispered in my ear that a lot of the decision by
>  various US corps to back Gnome was based more on nationalism
>  concerns than technical merit.

The difference is that a Sun person is the one that stated that. It
wasn't "rumours" or "whispered in my ear."

>  > >  > Sun spent millions on GNOME in years past before xfce was really known
>  > >  > at all, so it makes sense for them to stick with their investment.
>  > >
>  > >  No it doesn't.  When you've made a mistake, smart leaders correct
>  > >  rather than pouring good money after bad.
>  >
>  > I haven't seen anything to prove it was a mistake yet.
>  >
>  > Quite the opposite.
>
>  Then why, despite all this backing by various US corp entities, does
>  Gnome still take back seat to KDE by something like 3:1 ratio in terms

Where are you getting those statistics from?

It doesn't make much sense given that:

* RedHat uses GNOME by default and is the most well GNU/Linux distribution

* Novell used GNOME by default in their enterprise distribution

* Novell purchased Ximian years ago, which is a GNOME company

* Sun chose GNOME years ago

..etc.

I suppose it depends on whether you are looking at the US or European markets.

>  of user base?  I'll venture a hypothesis: any *nix based DE is not going
>  to be able to seriously compete w/MS for corp workstation in the
>  foreseeable future.  Hence the lack of uptake in this market despite

That I can agree with.

>  the various periodic marketing pushes from Novell, IBM, etc.  So who's
>  left as user base?  People smart enough to not want a crippled DE
>  that's designed to be "usable" by lowest common demominator (e.g. does
>  the print dialog still omit "duplex" option in name of
>  "usability"?), and this sector seems to exhibit strong preference for
>  KDE.

Crippled is a matter of perspective. I consider almost all of the
current *NIX desktops to be crippled in one way or another.

As for the rest; that's just opinion -- so no facts or figures are
going to make any difference there.

>  Thankfully there are some within Sun who see this issue differently than
>  you and are actively working on porting of KDE;)

*shrug* I don't really care.

I spend most of my time in a terminal window or a browser.

Which desktop I'm using makes little difference in the end.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"To err is human -- and to blame it on a computer is even more so." -
Robert Orben