On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Ken Gunderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 15:32:18 -0500
>
> "Shawn Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>  > On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Ken Gunderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:10:24 -0500
>  > > "Shawn Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > >
>  > >  > On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Ken Gunderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>  > >  > > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 07:46:38 -0500
>  > >  > >  "Shawn Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >  > On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:02 AM, Ken Gunderson <[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > >  > >  > >  I've used both Gnome and KDE off and on since 0.x days but
> ditched both
>  [snip]
>

>  > >  Right.  But enabling such features should be an option, not default
>  > >  requirement.
>  >
>  > The law makes it a requirement.
>
>  No it doesn't.  It needs to be available as an option for
>  those who require such in certain environments, but not all.

It does if you want to sell to government entities, etc. which Sun
obviously does and wants to.

That's my point.

>  > >  And I've had it whispered in my ear that a lot of the decision by
>  > >  various US corps to back Gnome was based more on nationalism
>  > >  concerns than technical merit.
>  >
>  > The difference is that a Sun person is the one that stated that. It
>  > wasn't "rumours" or "whispered in my ear."
>
>  Call it what you like.  Doesn't change reality...

Indeed, it does not. Which reality it doesn't change is up for debate though :-)

>  > >  > >  > Sun spent millions on GNOME in years past before xfce was really
> known
>  > >  > >  > at all, so it makes sense for them to stick with their
> investment.
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >  No it doesn't.  When you've made a mistake, smart leaders correct
>  > >  > >  rather than pouring good money after bad.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > I haven't seen anything to prove it was a mistake yet.
>
>  Can you cite instance where has Gnome replaced MS in corp/govt.?  I can
>  cite cases where KDE has.  Seems to indicate to me that betting the
>  farm on Gnome _might_ have been a mistake...

Sure. Go look on Novell's website :-)

>  > >  > Quite the opposite.
>  > >
>  > >  Then why, despite all this backing by various US corp entities, does
>  > >  Gnome still take back seat to KDE by something like 3:1 ratio in terms
>  >
>  > Where are you getting those statistics from?
>
>  Google is your friend.  You're an analyst.  Don't make me do your
>  legwork.

They're your stats, not mine :-)

>  > It doesn't make much sense given that:
>  >
>  > * RedHat uses GNOME by default and is the most well GNU/Linux distribution
>
>  RedHat is a lame distro whose only "feature" is a psuedo offerings of
>  indemnification and support that fail to actually pan out in the real
>  world. Nobody I know uses it in production environment unless forced to
>  do so by phb's lacking in technical competence, i.e. decisions based on
>  politics rather that technical merit.

A lame distro that makes millions for RedHat every year in subscriptions :-)

>  > * Novell used GNOME by default in their enterprise distribution
>  >
>  > * Novell purchased Ximian years ago, which is a GNOME company
>  >
>  > * Sun chose GNOME years ago
>  >
>  > ..etc.
>  >

>  Debain, (K)Ubuntu, and Slackware of the most popular.  But why are we
>  talking about Linux?

Because you don't hear about mass desktop deployments of *NIX-like
platforms with anything else?

>  > Which desktop I'm using makes little difference in the end.
>
>  I don't appreciate that you've inappropriately and erroneously changed
>  the subject heading in what appears to be an effort at belittling my
>  input by relegating to status of a "religious war".  Especially since I

I'm the one responding, aren't I? :)

The point is, that in the end, everyone has their particular view of a project.

Most of us are never going to change our view of KDE, GNOME, etc. We
encountered them and stuck with it for whatever reason.

I doubt I will ever change my view of KDE's licensing or library
choices, and I doubt you will ever change your view of GNOME or XFCE.

So, there's little point to the discussion, hence the subject :-)

>  Gnome.  In this context I have pointed to some things I do not like
>  about Gnome related to lack of stability, sluggish performance, and
>  purposeful crippling of capabilities that were formerly present under
>  the guise of "usability".  And also I would welcome a modern
>  Xfce-4.4.x, as Blastwave's repo is still on 4.2, and quite out of date.

File bugs. However, I can just about guarantee that Xfce someday will
be accused of being bloated too, (actually I've already seen that from
those that used it from early, early versions).

One man's bloat, is another man's "must have feature."

Cheers,
--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"To err is human -- and to blame it on a computer is even more so." -
Robert Orben