For this month's meeting we have a change of venue, just across the road
from the Santa Clara Auditorium, we will be meeting in SCA07, known as the
Mansion. This is a very special venue, and I will remind our community
that we will be using one of California historical buildings, no different
than the auditorium, but this is where the Governor stayed when he visited
the Agnew campus. Sun did a wonderful job at restoring this building, and
we would like to ensure that we are able to continue using it in the
future. As such, please help us "tread lightly" inside.

The rooms are smaller in the Mansion, but there are more than one, so we
can spread out if needed. The intent is that it will be easier to manage
the lighting for the video and hold the meeting in a different, more
intimate setting. The alarm can't be disarmed, so you will need to knock
on the door and one of us will open it for you. The Mansion is located
almost directly across from the Santa Clara Auditorium, in the smaller
building located to the left of the large structure directly across the
street. Use the same parking along Palm, and in the parking lots. The
Mansion also has an ice machine in the kitchen, where we can host the
beverages and snacks for the meeting.

The first presentation will be given by Jonathan Chew and Sasha Kolbasov,
explaining Project Nitro. Project Nitro was a performance project to speed
up the builds, to better parellelize the build process to use the system
more efficiently. Build times have dropped down on x86 and sparc both, and
I'll let Jonathan and Sasha give real world numbers. I'm seeing about
15-20 percent improvement on x86 and more on sparc myself.

Jonathan and Sasha will explain to you how they went about this project,
which is most applicable to many processes on OpenSolaris where similar
improvements could also be achieved.

We will be broadcasting over the web through ustream, and you can get the
embedded window on the SVOSUG project page of OpenSolaris.org. Please join
us over the web if you can't make it in person.

  When: Thursday, April 24, 2008
Where: Sun's Santa Clara Campus Auditorium (SCA07, the Mansion)
  What: Project Nitro, better performance with better parellelization
  Time: 7:30pm-10:00pm

  Google Maps:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=4070+George+Sellon+Circle,+Santa+Clara,+CA+95054&ie=UTF8&z=16&om=1&iwloc=addr

   Web: http://opensolaris.org/os/project/svosug/

Hope to see you there, and if not, hope you see us!

--

Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 IHV/OEM Group