* Joomla ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Thank you for reading my post.
>
> I was wondering if any member of this forum can help me with the following
> query:
>
> I have an Intel system (desktop) with three HDDs having dual-boot
> configuration...with Windows 2003 Server on the first hard-disk,
> Ubuntu Linux on the second & third HD being blank as of now. My
> bootloader is GRUB and I have been thinking of installing OpenSolaris
> on the last remaining drive.
>
> I am in a quandry as to if I go ahead with OpenSolaris installation,
> will Solaris' default bootloader  overwrite the existing GRUB & render
> my system useless...;) or is it that during installation Solaris will
> give me option for going on with the existing bootloader...I am just
> confused and want to make sure that I understand things in this regard
> before proceeding ahead.

The OpenSolaris installation will overwrite your existing Grub in the
MBR.

> Do you think that adding an entry corresponding to OpenSolaris on 3rd
> HDD in GRUB's menu.lst file will be sufficient after I have completed
> the installation.

No, because last I knew Grub as shipped by most linux distro's doesn't
understand how to boot Solaris.  However, the Grub that ships with
OpenSolaris does understand how to boot Linux (though you have to add
the entries to menu.lst manually).

Cheers,

Glenn