On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 1:59 AM, RBell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Cant you say the same about opensolaris? Light, slim, fast install, small
> distribution size ++ Headless is not a must for me. I have to admit that I
> like apt-get, but it is not a must either.
>
>  I would not oppose to paying for something which gives me added value, but I
> can't see all that added value on nexenta. (OK, it is probably very good for
> large datacenters etc, but for my simple NAS I can't see what it'l give me.)

Well, NexentaOS is free for any capacity, and its for the
do-it-yourself people who those who want the general purpose OS. It
also has ZFS root and full checkpointing of the system so one can
always revert based on any failure (upgrade or otherwise). NexentaStor
provides a bit more, including disaster recovery solutions, full
auto-snapshot, auto-tiering, and auto-replication services, with
specific retention controls. If one is looking for the full featured
NAS with a batch-capable command line or a web based GUI with wizards,
its for you. I guess is counts on the target audience.

Back to the basics on distributions, I chose Nexenta early on since
"live upgrade", BFU, and similar were not something that I could
afford to rely upon for a production system. My case is different, as
I service 100s to 1000s of users per NAS head and need fully
reproducible solutions. The at home user could choose from anything,
but may be safer with the same strong foundation that NexentaStor uses
in NexentaOS :)