Hi,

yesterday I installed OpenSolaris 2008.05. It works perfectly, but I'm missing
the huge number of packages available for Linux distributions like Ubuntu or
Debian. E.g., I need Ruby with sqlite support. On a Debian or Ubuntu system
(with compilers installed), I could do this:

apt-get install libsqlite3-dev
apt-get install ruby-dev
gem install sqlite3

Because all the packages work together seamlessly, the ruby tool "gem" will be
able to find the libsqlite3 development headers and libraries and the ruby
development headers and libraries and will have no problems compiling the
sqlite3 extension.

On OpenSolaris 2008.5 (with compilers installed), I could not install sqlite3
from the standard repository. I found it in the blastwave repository and
installed it, but then gem doesn't find the sqlite3 headers, because the
packages aren't coordinated. Sure, it's still possible to install ruby with
sqlite support on OpenSolaris 2008.05, but it's effectively as inconvenient as
it would be without a package manager.

Does Sun plan to extend the pkg.opensolaris.org repository over the lifetime of
2008.05, so that it will become more and more comparable to the official Debian
or Ubuntu repositories, or will that not happen before the next OpenSolaris
release, or maybe not at all?

Best regards,
Helge