Alan DuBoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 May 2008, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>
> > Mike DeMarco wrote:
> >> Took /opt/csw/lib out of my LD_LIBRARY_PATH and it now works.
> >
> > Just one of the many reasons you should never have LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> > set in your environment, where it will break all programs, and
> > instead only set it in wrapper scripts around the few broken binaries
> > that actually need it.
>
> This quagmire of multiple libraries has plagued Solaris and other systems
> as well.
>
> By having 2, 3, or 4 sets of libraries only offers potential problems to
> our systems in resolution, as noted above.

If all libraries would be evolved in a compatible way and if all libraries
would be present in the most recent version, this problem would not exist.

This is a problem that _may_ be solved in a 100% closed platform where
everything appears to be monolitic and things are planned from a single site.

In the world of OpenSource, you have unsynced release cycles with most of the
software. This is a problem that cannot be fixed. Even sites like Sun are
unable to sync release cycles...... Let me give an example:

For Solaris 8, I was in close contact to Sun people for the mkisofs integration
into Solaris. I did work hard to get a "stable" cdrtools-1.8 release ready one
week before the code freeze of Solaris 8 happened. This has been done after
negotiating this sync. Sun for unknown reasons instead took a completely
outdated and buggy mkisofs _variant_ from RedHat instead of taking the
official recent source from me.

At that time, I gave up trying to sync release cycles with others. In fact,
today there now are just too many other OSS entities to make this possible.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)