> I have been playing with opensolaris nevada x86 for
> some time and want to build a home file server with
> it (for starters...).
>
> Sometimes at shutdown, the boot archives are being
> recreated (takes 2 to 3 minutes).

Which opensolaris release are you using?  What kind of
system is that (cpu?, memory?) ?   Are you using Solaris
in a xen virtual machine, perhaps?

build_84 or newer has a newer /boot/solaris/bin/create_ramdisk
script that saves some fork() / exec() calls and uses less
system cpu time:

    6626043: "create_ramdisk could be faster"
    http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6626043

> What triggers these recreations exactly ?

Whenever a file from the list of files / directories
contained in /boot/solaris/filelist.ramdisk has changed.
For directories from the filelist.ramdisk (like "kernel")
this extends to all files below that directory.

Typical examples that trigger an out-of-sync boot_archive:

- hotplugging devices: changes etc/path_to_inst
- switching to / from daylight saving time: changes etc/rtc_config
- installing or removing device drivers: changes files under
  kernel or platform/xxx/kernel
- use of "eeprom x=y": changes boot/solaris/bootenv.rc