Hi, open solaris experts,

Lots of excitement around the advent of Open Solaris 2008.05 or
Indiana. I will skip all the good features such as liveCD, smooth
install to HD, and IPM.

One thing bugging me is that, I cannot mount a shared CIFS folder from
MAC. Here is the command and error,

mount -F smbfs //hans:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/shared_mac   /mnt

'df -k' revealed:

df: cannot statvfs /mnt: Transport endpoint is not connected

By the way, smb client service is on, as
online         13:47:42 svc:/network/smb/client:default

Indeed, from Open Solaris, I can successfully mount from Windows XP
shared folder or any NAS device with the same 'mount -F smbfs' above.
SO something strange about Mac alone. I checked the security settings
on Mac and it is wide open and there is no firewall. In addition, from
windows XP, I have no trouble connecting to MAC shared folder. Thus it
reduces down to a problem of Open Solaris and Mac CIFS sharing.

Bear in mind 192.168.135.1 is the IP for Mac. Here is more trace to it,

opensolaris# smbutil status 192.168.135.1
Workgroup: WORKGROUP
Server: MAC001EC2000DE7

opensolaris# smbutil view //hans:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Share        Type       Comment
-------------------------------
smbutil: unable to list resources: syserr = Transport endpoint is not
connected

(Note: view is good for all other shares except for Mac)

Moreover, I tried all commands with WORKGROUP and there is no luck
either.

opensolaris# smbutil view '//WORKGROUP;hans:[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Share        Type       Comment
-------------------------------
smbutil: unable to list resources: syserr = Transport endpoint is not
connected

mount -F smbfs '//WORKGROUP;hans:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/shared_mac' /mnt

or

mount -F smbfs '//WORKGROUP;hans:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/shared_mac' /mnt

df -k still has,

df: cannot statvfs /mnt: Transport endpoint is not connected

Since no domain is in use, Workgroup does not play any part.

Could anyone help me mount from Mac to Open Solaris ?

Thanks.

Hans

PS    ------- more info --------

I did download all packages related to samba and smb, thanks to IPM.
But still no way to resolve the problem. I could use smbclient to log
in and view files,

opensolaris# smbclient -U hans '//192.168.135.1/shared_mac'
Password:
Domain=[MAC001EC2000DE7] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.25b-apple]
smb: \> ls

I can download and upload files this way. But obviously, this is not
my goal.

All I want is to mount the shared folder from Mac to Open Solaris.

Do you have any luck ?