On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 6:29 PM, Brendan Gregg - Sun Microsystems
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sorry - on slower systems you could get throttled by /dev/urandom; so long
> as ZFS compression is off, these tests will be better using if=/dev/zero.

I've also seen /dev/*random (not sure if it was random or urandom)
give me only short reads that dd is bad about reporting.  If zfs
compression is important, probably best to do something like:

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/tmp/data bs=1k count=10240
while true ; do cat /tmp/data ; done | dd of=/pool/testfile bs=1024k

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/