NOTE: Phillip "Flip" Russell is no longer working at Sun, and has helped
for the past few years with SVOSUG. I would like to thank Phillip for
helping out and hope that you'll keep in touch with us.

I had been planning to host the meeting last week when Lori Alt was
visiting, but Lori was busy on Thurs., but we did tape a video for ZFS
Boot that can be seen on John Weeks' ustream account:

(first 10 minutes have some white noise in the audio)

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/563014

I would also like the let folks know about some dates coming up.

The August meeting will be moved up to PenLUG in Redwood City, please join
along in meeing with PenLUG. This will be on the same night SVOSUG
normally meets on, 4th Thurs., or August 28th.

http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/MeetingAgenda20080828

Sept. 3rd, James Gosling is speaking at the Silicon Valley Linux User's
Group. Here's a good chance to hear James speak at a small local venue.

http://www.svlug.org/meetings.php

Sept. SVOSUG meeting will be back at the Mansion, and I have a tentative
speaker but don't have it confirmed yet. Stay tuned for this announcement
soon.

Oct. SVOSUG meeting is being planned as a Arduino build-a-thon. The parts
to build an Arduino are only about $10-$15. We need to have a cross
compiler for OpenSolaris (gcc-avr) to support the Arduino, which is a full
open hardware and software platform to develop on. John Plocher recently
wrote a couple snazzy programs on the Arduino, one uses 2 servos with a
web cam to allow panning of the webcam with 2 potentiometers. This was
done with about 25 lines of c code, compiled and uploaded to the Arduino.
He also wrote a musical type program. Yes, John has discovered the
Arudino...and so can you...stay tuned for more info, we'll help you build
one for youself out of parts. This will be based on the Freeduino, bare
bones board. We will be inviting the local LUGs and BayLISA to join us.

http://www.moderndevice.com/

Have a nice summer break, I'm hoping for one myself.

--

Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 IHV/OEM Group