--- On Thu, 8/7/08, Dennis Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: Dennis Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [osol-discuss] blastwave.org - any info?
> To: "Glynn Foster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: opensolaris-discuss@opensolaris.org, [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Michael Gernoth"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Thursday, August 7, 2008, 8:47 AM
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Glynn Foster
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > On 7/08/2008, at 11:34 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> >
> >> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 7:15 AM, Glynn Foster
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> that still has a
> the backup.

>    is already complete
> currently restoring.

> in 30 minutes.

> Gernoth will sync the mirror at
> that after some time all
> data back again.

> >> You can not restore and then distribute all those
> binary packages
> >> unless you
> >> also have all the sources and source changes as
> well as the rights
> >> to infringe
> >> on both copyright and license.
> >>
> >> Which you don't. Simply be careful of what you
> choose to step into.
> >
> > You can distribute binaries, but need to require
> sources *if asked* -
> > which technically means that you can have a download
> site without the
> > sources, unless you are specifically requested to
> provide the sources
> > (for all binaries that have an appropriate license). I
> know I'm
> > splitting hairs here, but it's an important point.
>
> It is.
>
> I updated the homepage. Had to phone into an office to get
> access and
> did post what I told people on the 1st of August 2008.
>
> I have to go stay quiet for a bit now. Not my nature.
> But I'm learing hard lessons fast.
>
> Dennis Clarke

Thank you, Dennis. You've self-funded the Blastwave ISV "project" for a solid
5-6 years. I'd hope to see a larger corporation sponsor or acquire the
Blastwave organization, and maybe its Desktop Engineering team and package
maintainers, at some level for quite some time.

Yet I know the economic and political situation in North America as put many
small privately-owned self-funded ISV businesses in a crisis. Businesses also
face legality issues with open source package distribution laws and contractual
software support agreements.

Most people should understand that Blastwave.org was a financially self funded,
self-sponsored, project by Dennis Clarke for the last five years.
The Blastwave organization's data center and server infrastructure was entirely
self-funded by Dennis with out-of-the pocket expenses from consulting contracts
and some donations over the years.

Any profiteering from Blastwave.org by third parties not directly involved in
the actual packaging and direct maintenance or support of the packages
distributing from Blastwave.org is another issue.

Blastwave.org has played a major part in the Sun Solaris/OpenSolaris ecosystems
of application development, software engineering, and community support - as
well as user support for computer science students, scientists/engineers, and
business users.  Many of the current OpenSolaris disributions today actually
benefitted from the help of Blastwave.org maintainers and the work being done
from Blastwave.org.

So I only hope we will just say THANK YOU to Dennis and the maintainer team at
Blastwave.org for the many years of supporting open source packaging and
support for Sun's Solaris operating systems, products, and hardware. Without
Blastwave.org, the rebirth of products like Sun's Solaris x86 and possibly the
entire OpenSolaris project would not be where it is today. I doubt if any
credible corporation(s) can truely debate my comments based on what
Blastwave.org has provided to the Solaris/OpenSolaris community over the past
5-6 years.

~ Ken Mays
"And we thought OpenGL on Solaris x86, desktop virtualization, PowerPC/Intel
developments, advanced desktop engineering, and other subjects where just tall
tales from Aesop's handbook of fables..."