> > However, I was unable to use this flash stick to
> boot an Athlon X2
> > machine.  Its MBR was read--and the GRUB options
> were shown on the
> > screen.  But when I selected an option (e.g., the
> rc3), the machine
> > would go into the restart mode, and the GRUB screen
> would be shown
> > again.  This process can be repeated again and
> again.  It seems that
> > the bootloader was not able to read the kernel from
> the flash stick.
> >
> > Also I noticed that with the Athlon X2 machine
> (which is about two
> > years old), the os08.05-installed flash stick was
> NOT treated as a
> > removable disc.  Instead, I had to move its boot
> priority up in the
> > __hard drive__ category in order for it to be
> recognized by the POST
> > process.  This contrasts with the C2D notebook,
> which recognizes the
> > flash stick as a removable medium.
>
> First off, please get a real mail client that doesn't
> send huge lines.
> Thankfully Thunderbird has re-wrap that handles
> quotations.
>
> Your problem is almost certainly that your boot
> device order differs,
> probably due to thw BIOS differences you mention. Go
> to the grub command
> line, and do a "find /platform/i86pc/multiboot". Pay
> attention to the
> hd(n,m) it prints (I hope!) and edit your boot entry
> to match. Once
> you're up in multi-user, add a new boot entry to
> /boot/grub/menu.lst for
> your alternate device numbering.
>
> FYI, this is a generic x86 grub problem - Linux
> behaves the same way.
>
> --
> Carson
> ss

Thanks for the reply.

For some reason, it took __several__ days for your reply to appear in the Jive
forum--and, as a result, I almost missed it.  It's always too late now (past 10
pm Hawaii time).  I will try your suggestion this weekend.

Regarding the "HUGE" lines, I have received similar complaints in the past but
I really don't have any idea what's going on.  If I use Thunderbird, it would
create a new thread every time I post a reply.  And when viewed from the Jive
web forum, it would look like I was forking and graffitiing the entire
place--making me look extremely stupid.

If, OTOH, I use the Jive reply button, as you and many others have pointed out,
my reply may continue on a huge, never-ending long line.  I run os 08.05 and I
use FF2&3.  Nothing exorbitant.  Everything looks perfectly normal to me.   The
Jive forum has a reply button, and I really don't see why it should cause any
problem.  (B/c of the large volume of mails, I prefer exclusively using the
Jive forum to communicate.)

on this aspect (& probably only on this aspect), the Jive forum is the most
stupid forum on this planet AFAIC.  I understand there are legitimate reasons
why this is so bad, but to those who are not aware of what's going on (perhaps
more than 99% of the forum participants), the Jive forum looks inexcusably
stupid.

Thanks again for your kind help, & please be sure that my rants are not against
you.