Bill and Norm,

It seems it is a bug of cairo, when printing bitmap fonts.
We're looking into it.

To workaround, you can add a file in your home directory.

$cat ~/.fonts.conf
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<!-- ~/.fonts.conf file to configure system font access -->
<fontconfig>
        <!-- Reject bitmap fonts in favour of Truetype, Postscript, etc. -->
        <selectfont>
                <rejectfont>
                        <pattern>
                                <patelt
                        </pattern>
                </rejectfont>
        </selectfont>
</fontconfig>

Thanks,

Ginn

On Sep 25, 2008, at 11:42 AM, Norm Jacobs wrote:

> Bill Shannon wrote:
>> Norm Jacobs wrote:
>>> Other than the fact that firefox dumps core when you print, it seems
>>> to print.  You may very well be running into
>>>
>>>    6743432 firefox is corrupting it's malloc buffers.
>>>
>>> which appears to be the cause of
>>>
>>>    6750542 memory corruption in firefox breaks printing
>>>
>>> It looks like LD_PRELOAD of libc.so before running firefox works
>>> around this.
>>
>> But, as I said on desktop-discuss...
>>
>> Now the only problem is that the printout is completely wrong!
>> It's using the wrong fonts with the wrong size and the wrong spacing!
>> Not just a little bit wrong, but *completely* wrong.  The header and
>> footer titles are actually correct, but the font in the page is
>> either
>> squished together so close that the characters overlap each other, or
>> it's half the size it should be and spaced twice as far apart as it
>> should be so that it takes up the same amount of horizontal space.
>>
> I hadn't seen the other thread here, which, now that I have read it,
> appears to already give the above advice.  Once I got past the firefox
> memory management issues, I have been able to print from it, though I
> generated a pdf file from it earlier today and the bulk of the text
> from
> the web page was wrong.  It seems that some pages generate correct
> output, while others do not.  For example, www.sun.com is correct when
> printed, but www.opensolaris.org is not.
>
>    -Norm

--------