Matt Harrison wrote:
> Robert Milkowski wrote:
>> Hello Matt,
>>
>> Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 10:52:57 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> MH> Everything was working fine on our snv_97 fileserver then one day our
>> MH> transfers had slowed to a crawl. I originally thought it was CIFS only
>> MH> but after some tests I can see that its all network transfers including
>> MH> scp and ftp.
>>
>> MH> I've run some benchmarks like bonnie++ and disk IO seems to be ok.
>>
>> MH> A zpool scrub doesn't bring any errors and takes around the same time as
>> MH> normal.
>>
>> MH> The problem is that copying to the machine will run at about 20Kb/s and
>> MH> from the machine is faster, somewhere in the region of 60-100Kb/s.
>>
>> MH> What on earth could be causing this massive slowdown? I've rebooted the
>> MH> machine, checked all the processes, checked for faulty devices,
>> MH> everything I can think of.
>>
>> MH> Any ideas?
>>
>> Network issues?
>>

> Actually this could be related. About a week ago, the onboard NICs
> started playing up and would drop connection about 70% of the time. The
> only solution after talking with the list was to put in a PCI NIC, and
> it's possible that it might have some issues (it's really quite old).
> Could packet fragmentation on the NIC be causing this but not bringing
> down the whole connection?

Just replaced the old NIC with a nice shiney new RTL8139 and it works
beautifully, speed to and from is now back to what it should be. I don't
know why I didn't associate the slowdown with the NIC change in the
first place, it should've been the first thing I looked at.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Matt