On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 4:16 AM, Mark R. Bowyer <mark.bow...@sun.com> wrote:
> casper....@sun.com wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem is making sure that you do not alienate the audience that
>>> you currently have. Making non-Solaris compatible binaries the default
>>> is a rather good way to do that in my view.
>>>

>> I completely agree.  And it's important that your vote counts.
>>
>> For me it is very difficult to use Indiana (doesn't install my shell) so I
>> avoided it except when I need to.
>>

> "pkg install tcsh" didn't take long.  For an experimental distribution in a
> sea of Linux I think it does pretty well.  If we keep it like this when we
> get around to shipping Solaris Next, it would be a different issue.  But
> changing the default PATH is an easy fix.

This is one of the reasons I haven't moved to Indiana yet. I shouldn't
have to go find core Solaris packages to add to OpenSolaris. That's
just broken.

Changing the default PATH when you ship the commercial version to
something that Solaris people will consider sane is only going to tick
off the Linux users en mass. Better to change the PATH now and help
them get adjusted to it in the first place one at a time.

fpsm