(I have been having this for quite a few of the last versions, somewhere around
100.)

Almost all clicks act as double click, be it in Thunderbird (clicking a mail
opens it), In Firefox (closing a tab closes 2), and so forth. I have tried to
adjust the mouse sensitivity in Mouse Preferences, but it does seem to have
effect at all. Clicking any text marks the word or even the sentence.
I wonder which is the underlying problem/underlying file that I'd have to
modify to modify the mouse sensitivity for double-clicks?

Uwe