Just wanted to give a heads up about a problem that we had and how we solved
it, in case someone else runs into the same issue.

We updated the kernel and rebooted the system. Bootadm, which performs the
update of the boot archive, took forever to complete. So after two hours (!) we
lost patience and killed it. When we rebooted the system, we had to manually
fix the broken archive by running bootadm update-archive. It was still taking
forever.

What ended up being the problem is the file /boot/solaris/filelist.ramdisk.
There was an empty line at the end of the file. We suspect that bootadm
interpreted this blank line as / and so it was trying to archive the whole /
partition!