Emmanuel De Paepe
<emmanuel_depa...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Idem over here.
>
> I paid it only 28.5 Euro, which is an excellent price if you see the '50 US
> dollar' on the back of the cover.
>
> The only issue is the quality of the book. I was surprised that Wiley uses
> such low quality phone book paper. This is a big contrast compared to all my
> other Wiley (semiconductor) technical books.

I too see poor quality in paper... and apparently the printing too.
It appears the printer was low on ink.   Nothing is really crisp.

> Regarding the contents, I certainly can recommend this book. It's easy to
> read and I was surprised to see the number of commands I have never heard of.
> Commands which are otherwise well hidden in the man pages.

I am beginning to disagree about contents too.  I'm way low on the
skill level in unix or Solaris but have run unix or unix like OS for
over 10 yrs, mostly linux but with several months experience with 2 of
the BSDs (open and free) and at least 2 mnths with early offerings
from solaris... somwhere around 200[03].  As I recall you paid
something like $40 for a DVD with a x86 Solaris OS, the OS was free
but the processing cost (It may have been less, but $40 sticks in my
mind).

I see what could be described as a `thin' coverage of many things.

An example may be the treatment in chapter 7 of fdisk format and
partition.

Right about the time the authors are quickly describing the process,
they stop without describing any detail of how to do format/partition,
jumping right ahead to removable media.

Since I once knew (i.e. Have forgotten what I learned long ago) a
little about solaris's processes with discs, I needed that section to
refresh my memory... but its discussed too thinly to really get to the
details I wanted.  I think I'm seeing that else where too.

Its a shame that in what is termed a `Bible' of Opensolaris and over
900 pages, you can't walk away with a full understanding of using
format/partition.

I'm disappointed generally and somewhat sorry to have listened to
promoters of the `Bible' here on opensolaris threads.

The authors seem all to eager to get on with higher level discussion.

Of course the book is useful but for $36 US, from amazon.  I expected
something on the order of what O'Reily press offers on these kind of
subjects.

Someone expressed great satisfaction at seeing commands discussed they
had never heard of, but that seems like a bare minimum for something
calling itself the `Bible' of Osol.

Cutting right to the chase... Its not junk, and probably even worth
the price, but should not claim to be a reference of `Biblical'
proportions and then present only thin coverage of many topics.