Miles Nordin wrote:
You wish to talk to Roland Mainz, Glenn Fowler and
Jennifer Pioch
then. They have opensource replacements for
/usr/bin/sed,
/usr/xpg4/bin/sed, /usr/bin/tail, /usr/xpg4/bin/tail,
/usr/bin/tr and
/usr/xpg4/bin/tr.

is this a joke?  Wherever could they find such precious and novel work?  maybe,
from the GNU project, fifteen years ago?  oh, o sorry my mistake they want
*XPG4* versions.  seriously, WHO CARES?  We are talking about this source:

The XPG4 environment matters for compatibility and UNIX certification purposes. A significant number of users still rely on those environments; the GNU equivalents would break them.

However it's worth remembering there are two binary licenses, the one used by
OpenSolaris and the SXCE license.  The former is redistributable, and the
latter isn't.  so, AIUI, if Sun decided tomorrow to stop offering SXCE
downloads on the website, we would not be allowed under copyright to copy SXCE
CD's and give them to our friends.  But for OpenSolaris CD's we'd be allowed.
so, the OP's ``emergency'' should be focused on binaries that you need to do
development, but which are not included on the osol LiveCD, such as Sun Studio
12.  It is only non-redistributable binaries that give Sun the wedge to kill
the project.  Other binaries could be re-implemented at leisure after the
project is already dead.

Please note that the entire contents of pkg.opensolaris.org is redistributable; this also means that the Sun Studio Express release there is as well. That's why a public rsync service for mirroring is provided.

Cheers,
--
Shawn Walker