http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/powerpc-discuss/2007-November/002247.html

"" Martin Bochnig mb1x at gmx.com
Wed Nov 7 14:02:30 PST 2007

Only remember how long it took to just move the Solaris_x86 kernel from
the pre-Newboot framework to Newboot. I had experimented a bit with
that, too (circa snv_14 versus snv_16). Grub would never be able to boot
a legacy pre-Newboot Solaris kernel. Nor would a Newboot based kernel
ever successfully boot when started from DCA: You would instantly get
panics during the attempt to initialize the kernel.

The whole stuff would add tons of complexity to the Polaris project and
wouldn't really lead to anything usable.
My personal opinion, unfortunately.
QEMU or PearPC are attempting to emulate *parts* of *some* ppc based
platforms.
Even *if* they came close to that goal: Then it would still be a
completely different box, not a PegasosII or ODW.
You can actually get exactly that if you just buy a used PoerMac or any
used RS/6000 from ebay. For a low (end-) price point such as $15 or
something.