On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 13:13 -0500, Shawn Walker wrote:
> Sebastien Roy wrote:
> > I was under the impression that an IPS package manifest contained the
> > set of services to be automatically imported and started as part of
> > package installation, or temporarily disabled during package upgrade,
> > etc.  Where does one get the idea that a reboot is required for a
> > package installation or upgrade?
> >
> > I don't get that idea by reading documentation:
> >
> > http://opensolaris.org/sc/src/pkg/gate/src/man/pkg.5.txt
> > http://dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content/2008.11/IMGPACKAGESYS/ipsdev.html#createipspkg
>
> It depends on whether you're updating the "live" system or not

The word "reboot" implies that the system being operated on is running.

> , and what you're trying to do.

Right, but "it depends" does not imply, "must always reboot".  The
statement by Moinak that sparked this leg of the discussion was:

"Which means those packages will require system reboot not unlike
Windoze!"

This isn't unequivocally true.

-Seb