On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 2:54 AM, Edward Ned Harvey <sola...@nedharvey.com> wrote:
> I was confused by the bootup kernel messages.  The kernel message when you
> boot from DVD says 32bit.  The kernel message booting from hard drive (I
> think) says x86_64.  Both messages I see regularly, and look similar to the
> uname -a output.  So that explains the confusion.

The SXCE DVD doesn't contain the amd64 kernel in its miniroot boot archive.
Therefore the IA32 kernel gets booted by default, rather than
autodetection of amd64 if supported, else IA32 (like when you boot
from hdd).

Also: I personally don't understand why Sun made that design decision
back in 1997/98 to treat a booted 32bit kernel and booted 64bit kernel
as the same platform, and hence to identify it with the same uname()
field values. In this case I prefer how linux handles it.

Of course it is trivial to depend on isainfo for configure scripts or
automated choice of Makefiles, but this stuff belongs into different
platforms and correspondingly into separate uname() fields.
But I don't want to start a fight.