> Also: I personally don't understand why Sun made that
> design decision
> back in 1997/98 to treat a booted 32bit kernel and
> booted 64bit kernel
> as the same platform, and hence to identify it with
> the same uname()
> field values. In this case I prefer how linux handles
> it.

Why? It makes perfect sense. When you're on Solaris, the system is
*architected* such that you don't care whether you're on 32- or 64-bit
(/usr/lib/64, isaexec(3C)), and it is *engineered* such that it will
automatically use/boot the correct kernel.

So why worry about it?  Why care about it, if the system can figure it out for
himself?
I would think that all you should be concerned with as a developer is to
deliver both 32- and 64-bit versions of your binaries in a single package, and
let isaexec(3C) figure it out for you; and as a consumer, you shouldn't have to
break your head about such things; that is one of the things which were
architected and engineered correctly in my experience.