[i]My alternative OS has so far never messed up my data *without the disk
failing*[/i]

How can you be so sure? My experience shows that disk start to mess up data a
long time before it starts really failing. For example on my last ThinkPad, I
used it 3/4 year and got strange segfault in one app. I rebooted forced fsck
and viola file was corrupted due to failed sector. That was 2 years before the
point I decided to change the drive under the warranty conditions...

Today I rather run 2 drives in ZFS mirror configuration... I'm not sure it's
safer, since I've already also seen file data corruption on it (search the
forum for more info), but I still believe the guys use checksum correctly on it
(if I do not get into those tricky low-space on pool conditions under which the
corruption happen).

Karel
PS: my OS on thinkpad was Debian GNU/Linux.